Saturday, January 30, 2010

Oh crap, what did I do?

I've been hinting on Facebook this week that I signed up for a century ride.
What is that?
It is a 100 mile bike ride, one-hundred-miles people!
Ummm, yeah.
This IS something that I've always wanted to do, especially since 2006 when I did my first Team In Training event (a pretty short Triathlon). I liked the charity, LLS raises money for blood cancer research, and I like a challenge!
I excitedly turned in my paperwork on Tuesday evening. Yesterday I was driving back from a meeting in Merrillville, IN. Merrillville is northwest of Indy almost to Chicago. Not a bad jaunt, a little boring. How many miles away? 143.
Hmm.
Last week, I drove to Cincinnati for a meeting. Again, not a bad drive, more interesting than going to Merrillville. How many miles from Indy to Cincy? 114.
Oh crap, what have I done?
Why do I feel the need to be able to ride a bicycle from Indy to Cincinnati, I really don't know...
LUCKILY, I won't be riding from Indy to Cincy. I'll be participating in "America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride" around...wait for it...Lake Tahoe!

http://hotrod.vox.com/library/post/americas-most-beautiful-bike-ride.html

(Notice the road in this picture, we aren't going to discuss the elevation or incline at this time...)
It is a great cause and a great challenge and the only reason I could think not to do is fear of not being able to meet the challenge. I decided last October that I wasn't going to make any more fear-based decisions so that reason doesn't count.
Here's to the team that I'll doing this challenge with and us all making it over the finish line! We had our kick off meeting last night and about half the Tahoe team was there. I'm looking forward to getting to know them better!
I'll be chronicling my "road to The Ride" here on my blog so check in often! (And leave comments if you feel inclined, getting a comment is like getting a birthday card in the mail!)
Also, my other portion of his challenge is to raise funds for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I've posted a badge to the right to keep track of how close to my goal I am. More about that later too!

No comments: